Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I See Dead People


Australia's Watch Around Water is placing images of a little drowned boy at the bottom of swimming pools to improve pool safety. I have to say, one of these posters would definitely catch my eye. Of course eventually people are going to catch onto this whole fake-dead-people-as-props thing and it's going to lose shock value. Then what will happen? People will start walking around and if they come around a dead boy in a pool they'll just shrug.

Essentially this ad campaign is playing the game of the agency-who-cried-wolf. But seriously, it's a very effective idea. It's eye-catching and gets the audience emotionally involved immediately. Not only is the effect immediate, but also it reaches everybody. No one can ignore the image of a dead boy in a pool. It's simply human nature: I know I shouldn’t look but I can't help it.

There's a fear factor involved in this campaign and I'm not sure it's of appropriate measure. I feel it might create a negative association with the firm even though it might work in terms of increasing drowning awareness.


  • Adrants
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home